Thursday, April 5, 2007

Mount Hermon Christian Writers Conference 2007

I had such a wonderful time at Mount Hermon! I learned so much, more than I thought possible, and I met so many wonderful friends! The best part was finally finding a group of people who love speculative fiction (spec fic) as much as I do. :)

I took Lauraine Snelling's major morning track on character building, and I learned quite a bit. It was good to spend so much quality time with my character. I learned some important stuff about her that had been missing before. It's always good to be really in touch with your character's motivation. :)

There was so much food at the conference, it felt like we were always eating. But it was all so good! The best part is, I didn't dread meals this time. Last year, I didn't want to eat because I was so afraid of sitting with the editors and other people who know what they're doing. Now, I know editors and published authors aren't all that scary, particularly ones who love spec fic, like Jeff Gerke or Austin Boyd. In fact, it's fun to pick their brains. :D

One of the biggest highlights for me was the night owl for writers of spec fic. I loved hearing all their awesome plot ideas, and it was encouraging to see how many people showed up. I never expected more than 10 or so people, but the number was closer to 25. How exciting! We all wrote our prayer requests on a paper, and it's great to know that people will be praying for me as I pursue this adventure of writing. :)

My only regret is that I didn't get to see the "troll hole" Rachel found. Oh well. It will still be there next time. :)

1 comment:

Tina said...

Sounds like you had a fantastic time! Hopefully one day I'll be able to go as well.

Welcome to the Christian Science Fiction & Fantasy Blog Tour. Hope you enjoy participating.