Monday, June 18, 2007

CSFF Blog Tour- The Restorer by Sharon Hinck




This month, the CSFF Blog Tour is featuring Sharon Hinck's new fantasy book The Restorer! I'm really excited, because I love this book! And Sharon Hinck is awesome! I met her at the Mount Hermon Writers Conference, and she's a wonderful, sweet, and friendly person! :) You can visit Sharon Hinck's website or Sharon Hinck's blog to get to know her!

Summary:

Of the different summaries I've read, the summary on the bookmarks is my favorite. It reads:

Susan, a modern-day soccer mom, is pulled through a portal into another world, where a nation grappling for its soul waits for a promised Restorer to save their people. Can she fill that role? While she struggles to adapt to a foreign culture, she tackles an enemy that is poisoning the minds of the people, uncovers a corrupt ruling Council, and learns that God can use even her floundering attempts at service in surprising ways.

Weaknesses:

Weaknesses? What weaknesses? Okay. :( I found one typo. :P I don’t remember what page it was on, but the word “a” was left out of a sentence. One tiny typo is pretty good for a 455-word book.

Another weakness: there wasn’t enough of Kieran in the book. LOL! :P

Okay, seriously. The one thing in the book that bothered me was it felt…oh wait, I can’t say that because it will give something away. Hmmm…how can I say this? Two particular characters seemed to constantly hug and kiss one another when they were anywhere near each other. How did I do? Did I give anything away? :) I know that’s technically not a weakness, but it got a little old for me. If you’ve read the book, you probably know which two characters I mean. :) If you haven’t read it, then you really should do so. :)

Strengths:

Where do I start? :) The world of The Restorer is a very new and fresh one, and it’s very exciting to explore. The races, especially the Rhusicans and Kahlarean assassins, were original and interesting. Even the architecture of The Restorer’s world is unique, and Sharon did an excellent job of describing it. The culture and its beliefs, customs, traditions, etc. were developed well.

The characters are great! My personal favorites would be: Susan, Tristan, Wade, and of course, Kieran. :D All of the characters have depth and are fun to read about.

The Restorer moves at a fast pace and is very involving. I could hardly put it down during the two days that I was reading it. My mind was always on it and I kept the book almost constantly at my side so I could sneak little reads in whenever I was given the chance.

I’m adding this book to my list of favorites! It’s excellent! :)

Go on an adventure and find out what other members of the CSFF Blog Tour are saying about The Restorer! The portals to their blogs can be found below:

Trish Anderson
Brandon Barr
Jim Black
Justin Boyer
Grace Bridges
Amy Browning
Jackie Castle
Valerie Comer
Karri Compton
Frank Creed
Lisa Cromwell
CSFF Blog Tour
Gene Curtis
D. G. D. Davidson
Chris Deanne
Jeff Draper
April Erwin
Linda Gilmore
Beth Goddard
Marcus Goodyear
Andrea Graham
Russell Griffith
Jill Hart
Katie Hart
Sherrie Hibbs
Heather R. Hunt
Becca Johnson
Jason Joyner
Kait
Karen
Dawn King
Tina Kulesa
Lost Genre Guild
Rachel Marks
Rebecca LuElla Miller
Eve Nielsen
John W. Otte
John Ottinger
Robin Parrish
Rachelle
Cheryl Russel
Hanna Sandvig
Chawna Schroeder
Mirtika Schultz
Steve Trower
Speculative Faith
Jason Waguespac
Daniel I. Weaver
Wayne Thomas Batson
Merrie Destefano
Shannon McNear

You can also read my thoughts on The Restorer that I posted right after I read it: The Writer's Sword- The Restorer First Reactions

Happy questing!

Becca Johnson

9 comments:

David Adams said...

Kieran was a good character! I wish he was in it more!

Hanna said...

Haha, I remember finding only one typo too. Wonder if it was the same one!

Becky said...

Becca, did you see that Kieran is Reagen's favorite character? Seems like the first time I read this, he was the only one you named as a favorite. ;-)

Becky

Merrie Destefano said...

Loved your review of The Restorer, but I really liked your review of Pirates of the Caribbean too! Great job, Becca! Are you having an idyllic summer?

:)

Say, did you notice that I posted pictures of Hezekiah for you on my site? I had a problem with my site and it was down for awhile (arrrrgghhh), but it seems to healthy now.

See you later!

Becca Johnson said...

Hanna-
It probably was. LOL. :)

Becky and David-
You should have seen me toward the end of the book. I was crying, then laughing. Yeah. :P

Becca Johnson

Becca Johnson said...

Merrie-
Thanks! I am having a great summer! The only mar is a sunburned nose and legs. :P

Hezekiah is so cute! I'm glad your blog is back up and running! :)

Becca Johnson

pixy said...

Great review. Now you got me all in suspence. I wanna know who keeps hugging. :D

Sharon Hinck said...

Becca, this was so fun. Thanks for being part of the tour. You made me giggle. At first I had trouble guessing who was always hugging and kissing, but I think I figured it out. LOL! You did a GREAT job of not revealing spoilers while still making your points. NOT an easy task! :-)

I'm so delighted you were caught up in the book AND that you like Kieran.

shekinah said...

This was a great book. Great ending. I can't wait for the next one. I guess I will have to buy my own copy since I borrowed my daughters and this is one I will read again.