Saturday, June 2, 2007

Quotes of the Week #3- Writing

1. Writing is an exploration. You start from nothing and learn as you go.
-E.L. Doctorow

2. Writing and reading is to me synonymous with existing.
-Gertrude Stein

3. When writing a novel a writer should create living people; people not characters.
-Ernest Hemingway

4. [Writing] has nothing to do with communication between person and person, only with communication between different parts of a person’s mind.
-Rebecca West

5. Writing is the only thing that, when I do it, I don't feel I should be doing something else.
-Gloria Steinem

Humorous Quote:
Writing is a socially acceptable form of schizophrenia.
-E.L. Doctorow

2 comments:

Merrie Destefano said...

Great writing quotes, Becca! Hey, thanks for stopping my blog and posting. I was beginning to think I was invisible.
:)
Is that your Siamese kitty in the photo? He/she is so pretty! Ever since I was 15, I've always had a Siamese cat. I love sealpoints, but right now we have a blue point named Hezekiah. He's really sweet. We have 2 German shepherds too, and Hezie thinks he's one of the dogs. Okay, I need to go get some writing done. Talk to you later--
Merrie

Becca Johnson said...

You're not invisible, Merrie! :) At least, not that I know of! ;)

Yes, that's Coacoa in the picture. She's no longer with us, but I'll keep the picture up. She wasn't full Siamese, but she did have some in her.

Hezekiah sounds so cute! You'll have to give him and the dogs a pet for me! :P

Blessings on your writing! :D

Becca Johnson