Tuesday, September 18, 2007

CSFF Blog Tour- Review of The Return by Austin Boyd


Today is the second day of the CSFF Blog Tour featuring Austin Boyd's The Return, the third book in the Mars Hill Classified series. My mother agreed to review The Return, one of her favorite books. So without further delay, here is her review:

In The Return, Johns Wells is once again on his way to Mars. Believing his family killed in a terrorist attack, there is nothing left to hold him on earth. Wells and his team are sent to the Red Planet to finally solve the mystery of whether there is life on Mars. On this long journey their beliefs are challenged and their characters tested. This book answers the questions we were left with after reading the first two books.

The Mars Hill Classified series has had me on tether hooks from the beginning and I could not wait for each one’s release. Unfortunately, I had to wait for my husband to finish with The Return before I could start it since I had promised to let him read it first.

Austin is able to use his experience and education to tell a story without leaving the reader confused. He does not write in a way that the technical information is way over his audience’s head.

He places his characters in situations where they face the same struggles we do and yet does not allow them to find the easy way out. We can empathize with them because we have been there too. I think he did a great job with the Christian message not being the focus of his story and yet still very present.

If you are a reader of speculative fiction, or just enjoy good writing, I highly recommend this book. It is a great book to give to your husband, but wait until you have finished it first or you won’t get it back.

Boyd has forever changed how I look at space exploration and raised many questions about alien life. I am looking forward to his next series. I wish he would hurry.

Susan Johnson

Please take some time to visit Austin Boyd's website, along with a few of the other blogs participating in the CSFF Blog Tour.

Trish Anderson
Brandon Barr
Jim Black
Justin Boyer
Grace Bridges
Amy Browning
Jackie Castle
Valerie Comer
Karri Compton
Lisa Cromwell
CSFF Blog Tour
Gene Curtis
D. G. D. Davidson
Janey DeMeo
Merrie Destefano or Alien Dream
Jeff Draper
April Erwin
Linda Gilmore
Beth Goddard
Marcus Goodyear
Jill Hart
Katie Hart
Sherrie Hibbs
Christopher Hopper
Becca Johnson
Jason Joyner
Kait
Karen
Dawn King
Tina Kulesa
Rachel Marks
Karen McSpadden
Rebecca LuElla Miller
Eve Nielsen
John W. Otte
Lyn Perry
Deena Peterson
Rachelle
Cheryl Russel
Chawna Schroeder
Mirtika Schultz
James Somers
Steve Trower
Speculative Faith
Laura Williams
Timothy Wise

Take joy in the adventure, and give your mom a hug!

Becca Johnson

4 comments:

Becky said...

Tell your mom she wrote a great review. Must be because she hangs out with a writer, don't ya think? ;-)

I hope you like the book, too, Becca.

Becky

Merrie Destefano said...

Susan,
Fabulous review of Austin's book!

And I agree with Becky,
I hope you get to read the book too, Becca!

Great teamwork!
:)
Merrie

Eve said...

Thanks for the linkage!

Becca Johnson said...

Becky- Thanks! I'm still trying to encourage her to write something. :) I think she'd do well.

Merrie- I'll let you guys know what I think when I finally get to read the books. :D I have such a list of books to read. :P

Eve- You're welcome! Thanks for stopping by. :D

Becca Johnson