Tuesday, November 27, 2007

CSFF Blog Tour- Scarlet by Stephen R. Lawhead

This month, the CSFF Blog Tour is featuring Stephen R. Lawhead's Scarlet, the second book in the King Raven Trilogy.

Summary:
After searching for some time, Will Scarlet finds King Raven's band of men and earns a place among them. He fights with them to help the villagers under the invading Normans. Soon, Scarlet is thrown in prison and sentenced to hang for a crime he did not commit. He tells his story to a scribe while he waits for either death or rescue.

Weaknesses:
-At first, the changes from first-person present, to first-person past, to third-person past, and back again confused me and threw me off, but the story soon sucked me in and I no longer noticed.

-Occasionally, the descriptions would go on for what felt like too long, and my attention would begin to slip. That might be because I am often an impatient reader, but I still think some of the descriptions could have been shorter.

Strengths:
-I really fell in love with the main character of this book, Scarlet. Something about the way he expresses himself and his personality really appealed to me. I felt very attached to him, and I think that seeing most of the story from his point-of-view really contributed to that.

-Lawhead does an excellent job of making the reader feel like they really are in Wales while all of this is happening. His descriptions pull you in with their beauty and excellent sensory details.

-Lawhead did a great job of making me hate the bad guys in the book. Injustice really gets to me, and these guys displayed the pinnacle of injustice. I like books that have bad guys I can really despise. It's more fun that way. :P

Please take a moment to visit some of the other blogs participating in this tour, as well as Stephen R. Lawhead's website.
Trish Anderson
Brandon Barr
Wayne Thomas Batson
Jim Black
Justin Boyer
Grace Bridges
Amy Browning
Jackie Castle
Valerie Comer
CSFF Blog Tour
D. G. D. Davidson
Chris Deanne
Jeff Draper
April Erwin
Linda Gilmore
Beth Goddard
Marcus Goodyear
Andrea Graham
Jill Hart
Katie Hart
Sherrie Hibbs
Timothy Hicks
Christopher Hopper
Becca Johnson
Jason Joyner
Kait
Karen
Dawn King
Tina Kulesa
Mike Lynch
Margaret
Karen McSpadden
Melissa Meeks
Rebecca LuElla Miller
Mirtika or Mir's Here
Eve Nielsen
John W. Otte
John Ottinger
Lyn Perry
Deena Peterson
Rachelle
Cheryl Russel
Ashley Rutherford
Hanna Sandvig
Chawna Schroeder
James Somers
Rachelle Sperling
Steve Trower
Speculative Faith
Robert Treskillard
Jason Waguespac
Daniel I. Weaver
Laura Williams
Timothy Wise

Live the adventure!

Becca Johnson

4 comments:

John (Grasping for the Wind) said...

Very Good, very succinct review. I know your opinion and appreciate it.

chrisd said...

Totally agree with you about Will Scatlocke. What a lovely personality that Lawhead gave him!

Rebecca LuElla Miller said...

Becca, on the change of POV from first to third, I wasn't so much thrown by it, but it was noticeable. I remember thinking--this is the kind of thing established writers get to do. We newbies don't have the track record to indicate readers will stay with us if we break into something innovative.

The break in the narrative to have the interactions with Odo bothered me more than anything, but of course, it became apparent that those were essential for character building and foreshadowing.

Good review!

Becky

Becca Johnson said...

John- Thanks. I like being succint. :P

Chrisd- His was one of the best personalities I've read about in a while. :D

Becky- That's the day we can all look forward to, isn't it? When we can get away with trying new stuff too. :)

Yes, I agree about the breads for Odo. At first it annoyed me, but somewhere along the line, I also realized that they had a purpose. :)

Thanks for stopping by, everyone! :D

Becca Johnson