Wednesday, January 23, 2008

CSFF Blog Tour- Auralia's Colors by Jeffrey Overstreet


This month, the CSFF Blog Tour is featuring Jeffrey Overstreet's Auralia's Colors, the first book and Red Strand in the Auralia Thread.

Summary:

Cloaked in mystery, Auralia grows up among criminals outside the walls of House Abascar, where vicious beastmen lurk in shadow. There, she discovers an unsettling--and forbidden--talent for crafting colors that enchant all who behold them, including Abascar's hard-hearted king, an exiled wizard, and a prince who keeps dangerous secrets.

Auralia's gift opens doors from the palace to the dungeons, setting the stage for violent and miraculous change in the great houses of the Expanse.

Weaknesses:

-Too many points-of-view. The large amount of points-of-view was disorienting and frustrating. I felt like I barely got to know any of the characters, and it was difficult to even determine who the book was about. This really hurt my enjoyment of the book, especially since characters are the most important part of a book for me.

-Seems to wander a bit. I wasn't sure what the plot would turn out being, though it did pick up toward the end of the book. I would have appreciated more conflict or more obvious direction to the plot.

Strengths:

-Eventual interest in some of the characters, particularly Auralia, the ale boy, and Prince Cal-raven. However, it took more than half of the book before this happened for me.

-Some beautiful, almost poetic setting descriptions. The book is rich in detail and colors (no pun intended). There are plenty of passages like this spread throughout the book, and many of them would be worth reading again for their beauty and the wonderful way the words flow together.

You can find out more about Auralia's Colors at Jeffrey Overstreet's blog or at the Auralia's Colors website.

Please take a moment to visit some of the other blogs on the CSFF Blog Tour and see what they have to say about Auralia's Colors.
Brandon Barr
Jim Black
Justin Boyer
Grace Bridges
Jackie Castle
Carol Bruce Collett
Valerie Comer
CSFF Blog Tour
D. G. D. Davidson
Chris Deanne
Jeff Draper
April Erwin
Marcus Goodyear
Andrea Graham
Jill Hart
Katie Hart
Timothy Hicks
Heather R. Hunt
Becca Johnson
Jason Joyner
Kait
Karen
Carol Keen
Mike Lynch
Margaret
Rachel Marks
Shannon McNear
Melissa Meeks
Rebecca LuElla Miller
Mirtika or Mir's Here
Pamela Morrisson
Eve Nielsen
John W. Otte
John Ottinger
Deena Peterson
Rachelle
Steve Rice
Cheryl Russel
Ashley Rutherford
Hanna Sandvig
Chawna Schroeder
James Somers
Rachelle Sperling
Donna Swanson
Steve Trower
Speculative Faith
Jason Waguespac
Laura Williams
Timothy Wise

Living in Him,
Becca Johnson

2 comments:

Rebecca LuElla Miller said...

Too many points-of-view. The large amount of points-of-view was disorienting and frustrating. I felt like I barely got to know any of the characters, and it was difficult to even determine who the book was about.

Becca, I was so happy to read this. I was beginning to wonder if only an older generation of readers still wanted stories that didn't yank the reader from scene to scene and character to character.

I personally think it is a mistake for writers to try to bring an MTV flavor to books. We choose books because they are different, not the same, from film and TV and video.

That's my mini-soapbox spiel. ;-)

Becky

Becca Johnson said...

I agree completely. And maybe I'm one of a few of my generation like this, but I really hope not. I know that several writer friends of mine who are also teens agree. So there is hope. :D

-Becca Johnson